Saturday, September 25, 2010

Barktoberfest 5 mile race

Today, Jeremy, Lucky and I went to Barktoberfest at Lollypop Farm, which is the shelter where we adopted Lucky last year. I ran the 5 mile race and Lucky did a lot of sniffing and peeing.

The race course was a nice mix of trails and roads, with a few hills in the middle but a nice downhill to the finish. My time (37:56) was faster than my first 5 mile race in July, but the hip pain is still nagging me and the rest of my body feels a little worn out too. Sigh.

I really don't want to but I'm going to take this week off from running and do cross training instead. All my bones and muscles and inside parts performed like champs this summer, taking me farther and faster than I ever expected, so they've definitely earned a little rest time. Hopefully my body will heal itself and I can get back to running soon. I want to keep running for the rest of my life, so I should probably factor in some rest and relaxation time occasionally.

Lyric of the moment: "Some of us are different. It's just something in our blood. There's no need for explanations, we're just dogs on the run..."

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I spotted you as we were all assembling at the starting area before the race, and I was going to introduce myself after the race if I saw you again (obviously I did not). Did you skip the awards ceremony? Or was I merely concentrating too deeply on consuming my bagel when they called you on stage for placing third in your age group (you knew about that, right? Results links here: http://www.pcrtiming.com/2010.html#anchor_barktober)? I ran the race in a much less respectable time of about 44 minutes. But it was a great morning for an early autumn race and I really liked the course (except for the part about funneling everyone through a narrow trail to start the race).

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'oh! I left before the awards ceremony and didn't even know I placed in my age group, so thanks for your message! Congratulations on a nice finish too! Someone told me beforehand that there was a narrow trail at the beginning so I got a spot closer to the start than I normally would have. I loved the last mile - all downhill!

    It's too bad we didn't get a chance to meet - hopefully at another race. I'll stick around longer next time :)

    ReplyDelete