Monday, August 22, 2011

The bare necessities

In Hawaii I ran past volcanoes, palm trees and ocean views. My first run back in Rochester, I ran past a used condom on Monroe Ave.

Vacation is officially over.

New dream: Move to Hawaii. Or somewhere similarly tropical and on the ocean. Preferably with a reasonable cost of living.

I think I was made to live by the sea. I wouldn't need a lot of space or stuff. I wouldn't even need a kitchen. Just a bedroom, bathroom, fridge and possibly a microwave. I'd live out of a dorm room if it was by the sea. Maybe even a tent, though I have to admit I am quite fond of indoor plumbing and that soft, cushion-y toilet paper with the cute puppies on the package.

I have so much stuff here that is really unnecessary. To be happy, all I really need is running, friends, love and ice cream (beyond the basics of food, water, shelter, not being chased by hungry lions, mosquitoes or Jehovah's Witnesses, etc). The rest is just the cherry on top of the delicious sundae that is my life.

Dear Universe, I can't take many more endless Rochester Winters, so please send me a plane ticket back to paradise. I will bring the Donkey Balls! (best chocolate covered macadamia nuts ever).

Lyric of the moment: "Don't spend your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it, and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bare necessities of life will come to you..."



2 comments:

  1. We will go with you... I just read an article about a couple that moved to Panama or one of those countries and they live on about 300 a month... we could all just chip in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! In Hawaii I was thinking it would be awesome to work at a running tour company or something like that - you'd get to live in a vacation destination and get paid to explore it

    ReplyDelete