Monday, November 17, 2014

2014 New Things #17: Hygge

I'm a little disenchanted with Fall. He was so warm at first but has become increasingly cold, dark and depressing. And he's always bringing that jerk Winter around. I'm made for sunshine and heat. I cannot stand the cold, dark days of winter. It doesn't help that I live in a city with 6 months of winter. But I've been cold everywhere, even at the equator (I wish that was a joke but it is ridiculously true. Isn't fat supposed to be insulating? I think all of mine is broken. It is also quite possible that I am cold blooded). Still, I don't want to be a whiny little bitch about it, so I'm always looking for ways to embrace Winter, or at least make him more tolerable. Today I'm expecting the delivery of my new puffy coat, which I bought online after reading a review where a woman in Alaska claimed it was very warm. I'm hoping that this coat is the one that will be up to the impossible task of keeping me warm. But I'm not that optimistic. I have been let down by coats and their empty promises before. I think it's going to take more than a synthetic down puffer for me to become BFFs with Winter. So I was intrigued when I read an article about hygge.

Hygge is a Danish word for which there is no English translation, but it means a kind of cozy well-being. Like the warm atmosphere created when you mix good friends, good food and good times. Also, something about candles. I've never been to Denmark but I'm pretty sure I've experienced hygge right here in Rochester. The closest English translation I can come up with is TrailsRoc. I will happily shiver through the never ending darkness and the bone-chilling, soul-sucking cold for all the runs, conversations, laughs and celebrations with friends. My skin may never be warm but my heart will be. If I can't be in the season I love (Summer + Robot 4Ever!), I'll love the season I'm in. I have a cupboard full of oatmeal and I'm ready. Let's make some new traditions and have a winter of epic adventures.

Lyric of the moment: "It's where my heart was made. And where my feet will always land..."

No comments:

Post a Comment