Thursday, April 7, 2016

This Is Marriage: Day 214

Pete and I are FaceTiming and he's telling me about his day, which involved firing guns at targets. He tells me he scored "Expert" level on the accuracy test. I ask him what kind of gun it is and he says "M-(some number that I already forgot, so I'll just call it the Peanut M&M), which is an update from the M-(another number that I forgot, so I'll call it the Pretzel M&M)." And I say "I have no idea what a Peanut M&M gun is, how big is it?" He tells me it looks like his dad's gun. As in, the one we found hidden in a secret compartment in the back of Fun Gus (Pete's dad's van, which he gave to Pete when he went into hospice) and it looked like a sniper rifle (or what someone like me, whose stance on guns is basically MacGyver, thinks a sniper rifle looks like) and I was all like "Why is there a gun in Gus?! Your dad was totally a hit man, wasn't he? I mean, this whole mini-van thing is the perfect inconspicuous vehicle for a hit man to drive." Even though I know his dad was really into hunting and that was the purpose for the gun.

Later I am reading Station Eleven, which takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where all the gas for automobiles has run out and everybody travels by foot, and suddenly I think What if there is a zombie or other apocalypse while Pete is in Afghanistan? How am I ever going to find him again? And then I think maybe we should make some kind of plan for this, like procuring a helicopter (good), jet (better) or teleporter (ideal). I mean, I would walk for however many years it took to get to Pete, but let's face it, Afghanistan is a difficult place to walk to from here. Apparently, these are the things I think about now. Which might seem ridiculous. But look at the monomaniac who is currently a real life, actual presidential candidate ('Murica!). An apocalypse may not be that far fetched.

Marriage is getting to spend your life with the person you'd walk the earth to find after the apocalypse.

Lyric of the moment: "I got guns in my head and they won't go. Spirits in my head and they won't go. And I don't want a never ending life. I just want to be alive while I'm here..." ~The Strumbellas "Spirits"

No comments:

Post a Comment