Friday, March 24, 2017

Saying Yes. Or how I ended up on the radio.

Sometimes The Universe will send you gifts. Wrapped in questions. Like hey, do you want to run at 5am? / or during an epic wind or snowstorm? / or up all the hills? Or hey, do you want to join our radio show? And you have two options. You can get swept away in the rushing cascade of thoughts detailing all the reasons you are in no way prepared for or capable of doing those things. Or you can let your excitement be your guide, say yes! and jump on in.

Confession: I've never been "ready" for anything I've done. I've never felt that oh yeah, I've got this, 100%, piece of cake feeling. Other than towards an actual piece of cake. But, and this is the important bit, that has rarely stopped me from doing things anyway. So when say, I hear about a 40 mile race in Letchworth or this tall guy on top of a volcano asks me to marry him or Chris asks if I want to talk about running on the radio, my first thought is an excited yes! followed inevitably by my second thought, oh shit, I don't have what it takes to do that! Luckily my excitement reflex is faster than my doubt/fear of failing reflex or else I'd miss out on all the best things. Because the truth about awesomeness is that it's not about being "ready,"it's about taking risks, trying new things, pushing past the fear of failing or looking foolish and making the best out of whatever happens. Now I'm not saying screw all preparations, just fly by the seat of your pants! (Though if you have flying pants, that is super cool and sounds like quite a party). By all means, do the work, put in the time and effort. But ignore that voice that says things like "you're not ready, you're not good enough, they're all going to laugh at you." Listening to that jerkface is a one-way ticket to Boringsville, with a layover in Regretown.

So when Chris and Kendra asked me to join their Running Inside Out radio show on WAYO 104.3, I said yes! before they realized their lapse in judgment. And now you can hear us talking about running on Mondays at 6pm on WAYO 104.3 FM or at wayofm.org. I don't know what I'm doing and sometimes I say the wrong thing. (And always I start singing Harry Belafonte's Day-o in my head whenever I hear WAYO. You know, the song from Beetlejuice! Day, he say day-ay-ay-o. Daylight come and he wan' go home). But I love it and I'm having a blast. Feel free to bring your ears to this party live or to past episodes online as we run our mouths off about running. Feel free to let us know what topics you want to hear us ramblin' on about. And definitely feel free to tell that mean ol' jerk voice in your head to piss off, 'cause you've got your own adventurin' to do. (Little known (possibly alternative) fact: present participles are just more fun when you end 'em in apostrophe instead of g).

Lyric of the moment: "Now my life is sweet like cinnamon. Like a f*cking dream I'm living in. Cause I'm playing on the radio..." ~Lana Del Ray "Radio"



No comments:

Post a Comment