Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Fortunate Cookie

Pete's had a bad cold since Friday and I was trying so hard not to catch it. But yesterday I woke up with a sore throat and a bad attitude. What am I, fucking Mar-a-Largo and all the douchebugs want to stay here? I felt annoyed at my body for being so very flawed and imperfect and not even being able to fly, even though I've spent the better part of 21 years trying. I felt annoyed at my mind for being so very flawed and imperfect and failing at all the things. But that was not helping anything, so I left that pity party early and went in search of chemicals. I didn't start this fight but I was damn well going to finish it. I needed to get some hardcore nutrients on that shit, so I pounded all the vitamins, tumeric, Cold-Eeze, Ricola lozenges and gross, licorice-y Throat Coat medicinal tea I could find. After work I picked up some Chinese takeout tofu vegetable soup (when I'm sick, nothing tastes as good as that soup and those crunchy noodle things). A fortune cookie told me "Everywhere you go, friendly faces will greet you."


And I laughed. Because it's true. So unbelievably awesomely true. It's like the Universe was telling me, chill, dude, you'll be fine. Suddenly I realized that every mistake, every perceived failure somehow led me to the exact right place and the exact right time to meet the most incredible people (and the utmost incredible Mozzie). All my flaws somehow led me to the very best places, led me to you. Maybe this ideal of the perfect, flawless, impenetrable self is overrated. Maybe I am me, maybe I am here because of my weird, wibbly wobbly timey wimey bits, not in spite of them. That cookie wisdom, man. It gets me every time.

(This post is brought to you by the letters NYQUI and L).

Lyric of the moment: "These things and more I wish I had not done.But I can't go back. And I don't want to. 'Cause all my mistakes, they brought me to you..." ~The Avett Brothers "All My Mistakes"

No comments:

Post a Comment