Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Fuck yeah, thank you

Last night after the radio show, Chris said "Remember when you were in that 0spf video and you were like how can anyone listen to my voice? And now you're on the radio." It's true. For the past year (I can't believe it's been a whole year!), I've been chatting about running on the air with Chris and Kendra and Sheila. I probably laugh too much (and I definitely say "like" too much). But I haven't gotten kicked off yet, so that's something.

When Chris first asked if I wanted to be on the radio, I thought I should say no. When I got the dreaded plantar fasciitis, I thought I should quit the show because I felt like I wasn't running a lot and had nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation. I'm not particularly articulate or eloquent and I'm not a particularly talented runner. I don't feel like an especially interesting person. But I didn't say no and I didn't quit. For the simple reason that I didn't want to. (I've found that feeling like I "should" do something is not a great reason to do it, whereas wanting to do something is an excellent reason to do it). I love running and I love talking to people and I especially love being invited to adventures. Sometimes I would feel anxious, afraid I would say the wrong thing or push the wrong button. But in the moment, I forgot all about that because I was too busy having fun and being ridiculous. Even if I did say the wrong thing or push the wrong button, I was just like it's ok, I will keep trying to do better next time.

As soon as Chris made that comment, I realized he was right. And not just about the radio. I've been RSVP-ing Yes! to so much more in life. As I've gotten older, my attitude has shifted from why me? to why not? I'm not any better or smarter or nicer or more industrious. I don't have any less doubt or fear. It's just that when The Universe sends me invitations to new opportunities/adventures, I've stopped responding "No, I couldn't possibly, I won't be good enough" and started responding "Fuck yeah, thank you!"

Because you don't have to be the best at something in order to have an awesome time doing it. And the way to get better at something is by doing it, not by waiting until you are "ready" or "good enough" for it. You're already enough, wherever you are, however you are, right this very moment. If you don't want to do something, by all means say no. But if you really want to do something and are afraid of failing or not being good at it, know that you can say yes and some pretty amazing things may ensue. Sure, you might fail. But everyone fails sometimes. Failure doesn't mean you're not enough. It just means things didn't work out the way you were expecting. You can learn from it and try again. You can fail and try again as many times as you want. When you receive an invitation to awesomeness you don't have to decline out of fear, you can accept out of gratitude. You can RSVP "Fuck yeah, thank you!"

A year of radio shenanigans!


Lyric of the moment: "Jennifer you are not the only one. To sit awake until the wild feelings leave you..." ~The National "Fireproof" 


No comments:

Post a Comment