Friday, April 16, 2010

A penny saved (me from a smash up)

During my run yesterday morning, I almost ran into some dude on a bike. If I hadn't stopped to pick up a penny from the ground I would have gotten to the intersection a few seconds sooner and collided with him. Some people think pennies are useless, but not me.

When I told Jeremy that story, he said he used to throw pennies away and I was all like "Seriously?! You literally threw money away? Please tell me you don't do that anymore because you can't live here if you're going to throw money away." I was kidding of course, but only a little.

I know I am a spazz about money. But to me, money is for saving. No joke, checking my savings account balance makes me feel instantly calm and happy. To me, money means freedom and security and independence. I think money should be spent wisely on the things and experiences that I find most important. And I try to live below my means and save as much as I can. Then hopefully I'll have the freedom and security to do what I want with my life.

But I still want to go to the Galapagos so bad. Jeopardy had this contest where you could win a trip to the Galapagos, but of course I didn't win. And if Alex Trebek isn't going to send me, I'll have to find some other way to get there. I could afford the trip, but I wish I had someone else to go with (who could also afford the trip).

Sigh. I'm afraid I am becomming a bit obsessive about this Galapagos thing. But I just thought if not now, when? Of all the things I want to do, that's probably at the top of the list (well, going to space is at the top of the list, but I totally can't afford that).

Lyric of the moment: "I’m never gonna give you up.No I’m never ever gonna stop...I’m never ever gonna quit. 'Cause quittin just ain't my shit..." (because mmm...cake)

1 comment:

  1. Like , the islands? I can go. Would be good inspiration for my writing. When were you thinking to go? I'm free most of the summer.

    ReplyDelete