Thursday, May 17, 2012

The bionic man and the fearless flying baby

My dad had hip resurfacing surgery yesterday. The surgeon (whose name is Dr. Drinkwater - is that great or what? My dad said he'd rather be operated on by Dr. Drinkwater than Dr. Drinkbeer) said his old hip was in bad shape and he should feel much better with his new metal joints. They can only do one side at a time and have to wait at least six months in between, so he will have another surgery next year to fix the other hip. Then he will be like the bionic man!

It's weird to think about my parents getting older. It seems like they've been the same age as long as I've known them, which obviously isn't true. When I was 5 years old, my dad was 30. Now I'm the one who's 30 and my life is very different than his was at this age. 

We went to visit my dad in the hospital and were sitting around in his room talking and telling stories. My parents told the story of how when I was a baby I used to climb out of my crib and throw myself on the floor. Apparently it happened all the time. They had to put pillows on the floor around the crib so I didn't get hurt. Of all the stories of my childhood, this one is my favorite. It's just so weird and inexplicable. I mean, what kind of baby does that? At best, an imprudent one, at worst, a not-so-intelligent one. What was I thinking? Where was I trying to go? I don't remember being that young, but I like to think that I was a fearless flying baby in search of adventure.

But something happens as we get older. We're not so fearless anymore, and it's a shame. Maybe it's because we become more cognizant of the fragility of our bones and our lives. Maybe it's because we get hurt and become more cautious as a way of avoiding further pain. But don't we also realize that is the times we are most fearless that get us to all the places most worth going, even if we suffer a scrapped knee or a bruised ego along the way?

I've changed a lot since my crib-escaping days, but I hope that fearless flying spirit is still in there somewhere.

Lyric of the moment: "It's always darkest before the dawn..."


1 comment:

  1. Aw, your poor parents! As soon as Evey figured out how to get out of the crib she was on a mattress on the floor. Those things are high! I think it was probably your inability to sit still and your curiosity to see the world. NOT your lack of intelligence. And you do love a good plane ride :)

    ReplyDelete