Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Vacation from running

In the spirit of viewing obstacles as opportunities rather than obstructions, I've decided to enjoy rather than lament my vacation from running (because vacation sounds better than mandatory hiatus). So this past weekend, I finally worked up the nerve to get in the pool at the gym and try aqua jogging, sweated my ass off at Bikram Yoga, and went for a bike ride on the canal path. I had no idea what I was doing. I'm embarrassingly bad at all those activities, but I had a lot of fun trying new things and generally making a fool of myself.

Aqua jogging is like running in slow motion or through jello, but far more refreshing and less sweaty. I never took swimming lessons so technically I don't know how to swim, but I've always liked being in the water. And if I can't run on land, then I will run at sea (er, in a pool). At some point I may even buy goggles and attempt swimming.

Bikram Yoga was offering a 3 month unlimited pass for $100, which is a huge savings considering one class normally costs $20. I'm guessing the summer months are typically slow since the idea of sitting in a 105 degree room when it's 90 degrees outside is less than appealing. I'm aiming for 2 classes a week for the next 3 months and hoping that it will make me stronger and more flexible.

I have a hybrid bike that has been sitting in the garage collecting dust for a while. Biking is not my favorite, probably because there are too many gears to choose from and I am perpetually in the wrong one. I usually feel like I'm pedaling fast but not going anywhere. But I'll keep trying and maybe I'll get the hang of it eventually. In the meantime, at least the old people speeding past me can have a good laugh at my expense.

I also went to the library to get new books and spent some time relaxing in my hammock swing, reading and drinking cold beverages.

I am starting to feel more optimistic, like I have options, that I am down but maybe not yet out.

Lyric of the moment: "I told you about all those fears, and away they did run. You sure must be strong. And you feel like an ocean being warmed by the sun..."



1 comment:

  1. Sheila bought the pass for bikram as well, you should coordinate some classes!!!

    ReplyDelete