Monday, September 24, 2012

On showing up

On Saturday afternoon, I got a call from Chris, who had signed up to volunteer at the Rochester marathon the next day. When someone asked if he'd be part of their relay team, he figured why not run the first leg of the relay then finish the race to get his Boston marathon qualifying time (because he is super hardcore like that). He asked me if I'd take over his volunteer spot so he could run the race, and of course I said yes.

I'll admit there was that instant pang in my heart where I wished I could be running a marathon too, but the reality is that I can't run long distances right now. It is what it is. I'm doing what I can to get back there, but it's a slow process. And it's not about me. Sometimes you have to put aside your own shit and show up for your friends. I'm incredibly happy for and proud of all my friends and their amazing athletic accomplishments, regardless of whether or not I can be out there running with them. As they say in Grease, "If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter."

And volunteering was a lot of fun. I was a road marshall near the 9.5 mile marker and it was great to be out there cheering for all the runners and chatting with other volunteers and spectators. Plus I got to wear a sweet orange vest, wave an orange flag and yell "woohooo, good job!" approximately 3,000 times.

Last fall I was not a very good friend and I regret it wholeheartedly. So I'm not going to let a boy or an injury or anything else keep me from showing up for the people I care about.

Lyric of the moment: "If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone, carry on. May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground, carry on..."



1 comment:

  1. We were at mile 15 and at mile 26!! I wish we knew you were there, we would have put your stop on our list a well!!!!! You rock, keep rockin!!! that is all!

    ReplyDelete