Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Get busy living

I don't know why I'm here or why you're here or why I've met you or why I haven't. I don't know the meaning of life, but I am alive (at least as far as I know. In any case, I certainly feel alive, which is good enough for me). I've been alive now for 11,457 days and I've gotten used to the idea. Sometimes I take it for granted, I forget what an amazing and miraculous heap of awesomeness it is to be alive. But I don't want to take it for granted. I want to get busy living. I have done a lot in 31 years, but I feel as if I've only dipped a toe into the vast ocean of human experiences. It's time to jump in and do a cannonball.

There are certain experiences I have zero interest in: crystal meth, bankruptcy, homicide, mushrooms (Why are they everywhere? They are the bane of my existence). But I'm trying to be open to experiences, big and small, ordinary and unusual.

This past week I went to an hilarious One Hit Wonders show with Adam, tried eating beets (verdict: don't trust anyone who claims that beets are nature's candy. Swedish Fish are nature's candy), went to see Life of Pi with Becky (I really need to go to India someday), learned that bananas can float, started making artwork for 6x6x20 at Rochester Contemporary (I have no artistic ability but anyone can enter and I've always wanted to do it), continued in my quest to read some of the classics (I've finished Anna Karenina and now I'm in the middle of the Invisible Man), and over the weekend I unknowingly did something to my back that it did not like at all one bit and it protested all day (At first I was excited. I'm getting old! My back hurts! I'm going to grumble and complain about it and lie on the heating pad and feel sorry for myself for a bit! And that lasted for all of 20 minutes before I was like Ok back, I get it. You're the bee's knees and the cat's pajamas and I really need you. Please stop being angry with me and get back (ha! get back! get it?) to having my back (oh my god the puns are killing me). But the next day I felt totally better and all was well again in the house of Robot.

Lyric of the moment: "There's a lot I will never do. Some fantastic, I know it's true. But none as much as my want to be with you..."

1 comment:

  1. Lets see -

    1. I'm older than you
    2. There is no relevance to that point
    3. Maybe if you try some meth - the mushrooms will be more appealing
    4. I have been making beet smoothies -they taste like dirt and stain things
    5. Anna Karenina is great - doing war and peace again right now
    6. I'm done here.. nothing to see folks... move along.... move along..

    ReplyDelete