Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Very best days

I am all for grand adventures and all the epicness all the time, but I've had some of my very best days right here. Take Saturday, for example. I snuck in 18 miles on the Mendon 50K course with some of my favorite trail dudes and dudettes before heading to the Toss For Dystonia corn hole tournament (where I learned I am far better at picking a corn hole partner and running around, goofing off, playing catch with tiny footballs than I am at the tossing of bean bags into holes), then Pete and I bought more supplies for our camping trip this coming weekend (Thanks to Stacey for the invitation to my first real camping/backpacking/pooping in the woods adventure), and spent the night talking and watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I think something strange is afoot at Corn Hill. Because when I went to Fit1 on Monday night, there was new graffiti under the bridge that said "Be excellent to each other. And party on dudes -Abraham Lincoln." Signs of awesomeness are everywhere, my friends. At Fit1 we partied on to 50 squats, 47 dorothies, 85 pushups, 130 abdominals/obliques, who-took-the-ice-cream shoulder shrugs and 1.3 miles of movement (according to Gustavo). It doesn't sound like something I could or did do. It is quite possible that I died somewhere in the middle of all that. There are times that I would almost prefer death to another round of squat thrust-bunny hops, but there is nothing quite like the feeling of challenging myself to take on things I think I cannot do. It feels like being run over by a truck, but in a good way. Like by an ice cream truck.   

And then at work, this happened:
Bill (plotting against the wasps' nest he found on the side of his house near the roof): "I'll get a long stick with some rags and oil, light the rags on fire and put it on the nest."
Me: "You'll burn your house down!"
Bill: "I thought about that. But then the firemen would come!" (He has been trying to set me up with a fireman for the past 10 years. Because he says they're "manly acting," whatever that means.)
Officially, my job involves helping other people find jobs, but unofficially it's to keep Bill from setting things on fire. Like the toaster oven. And the office.

If you had asked my kid self what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have said astronaut or pirate. But all this, this is what I really want to be. A runner of trails, a celebrator of friendiversaries,  a consummate adventurer, a contender for weirdest job ever.

I don't know much, but I know this: the point, at least to me, is to live everything and love everyone. To share the pain and the laughter. To let people go when they leave. And welcome them with open arms when they come back. To accept challenges with courage and accept successes with humility. To make every day a very best day.

Lyric of the moment: "Life is a tale, it begins and it ends. And forever's a word that we can't understand. Well I know that my life's better when we're together. So why can't our story just go on forever..."

No comments:

Post a Comment