Friday, January 30, 2015

Community and cupcakes

I didn't see my family for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year because my parents live in Florida, my brother and sister-in-law live in Boston and Mozzie and I live here in the frozen tundra. I suggested forgoing Christmas gifts this year in favor of future adventures and they indulged my experiences over things philosophy. Though we did end up exchanging a few small gifts. This past weekend I went to visit my parents for a few days and our adventures included a trip to Kennedy Space Center and an alligator-filled boat tour of the Everglades. To me, getting funny pictures in front of rockets and in space suits, going on the Shuttle Experience (which is supposed to simulate a shuttle launch but is basically just a ride that shakes you around for 5 minutes) and seeing a bunch of alligators is better than any present under a Christmas tree.

Some people would disagree. And I get that. Things can bring us joy. I love cute dresses and I may be developing an addiction to socks. Beast Mode socks, Epic socks, Trifecta of Awesomeness socks (These are socks with robots, unicorns and cupcakes on them. I have two pairs. Obviously. The best part is that inexplicably, the cupcakes are sitting on stools. Why? Who knows. Maybe it's a prank. No, it's too mean. To waste a perfectly delicious cupcake like that.) But I could sell my house and everything in it tomorrow with no sense of loss. I don't feel any sort of attachment to things. I am not my possessions. I am the culmination of all my experiences. The highlights of my life have been the things I've done and especially the people I've met along the way, not the things I've owned.

I've never really understood our consumerist culture. It seems like everywhere I go someone is trying to sell me something. But I don't need any of those things. I don't care what kind of car you drive or how big your house is. I'm more interested in your drive to achieve your dreams and how big your heart is. I'm more interested in community than consumer goods. I mean, unless those consumer goods are cupcakes. I think we could all use more community and more cupcakes.

Lyric of the moment: "For long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be..." (Do Not Touch signs are the worst. Touch everything. Pink Floyd said so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment