Monday, February 9, 2015

Live each day as the 24 hours of awesomeness it is

That whole it's the journey not the destination thing is starting to make sense to me. I know the ultimate destination of my life. Spoiler alert: I don't make it out alive. But I have no idea when that will be or what will happen in the meantime. I hope that meantime is really freaking long. I hope it is filled with adventures and runs and Pete and you. But the only thing I know for certain is that the future is uncertain.

Sometimes I find this incredibly frustrating. Because how can I plan for the future when I don't know what I'm planning for or how long it will be or who will be in it? And that whole live each day as if it were your last is terrible, terrible advice. Do you know what I would do with my last day of life? Call into work dead, call everyone I know and tell them I love them, eat all the ice cream flavors (except for mint chocolate chip because mint is for toothpaste, not dessert), run a bunch of miles and spend all my money flying everyone to someplace tropical. But it would be highly imprudent to do that. Because the probability that today is my last day of life is very low and the probability that I have decades of days ahead of me is pretty high. So I think the key is not to live every day as if it were my last, but to live every day as the not entirely unexpected but very welcome 24 hours of awesomeness that it is. Some days that will mean be running all the miles, some days that will mean getting on a plane to somewhere warm, some days that will mean hiding under blankets on the couch. Every day will be a different flavor of awesome sauce.

I don't know how to plan for a future where anything can happen. The best I can come up with at the moment is not to plan at all and instead get really good at being flexible and resilient and excited about everything. I'm not Punxsutawney Phil or Miss Cleo. I can't predict the future. But I do get to decide what I think about it and what I do with it. So I've decided I'm going to love it.

Lyric of the moment: "Forever I will move like the world that turns beneath me. And when I lose my direction I'll look up to the sky. And when the black cloak drags upon the ground, I'll be ready to surrender. And remember well we're all in this together. If I live the life I'm given, I won't be scared to die..."

No comments:

Post a Comment