Friday, January 15, 2016

Things that are awesome

  • I came home from vacation to find my car's windshield cracked and its tire pressure light flashing. I know, that does not seem very awesome. But! I went to the drive-thru Valvoline and they put air in my tires for free (Pete has a handy tool that will do this too but on vacation it was feels like 97 degrees and back home it was feels like 7 degrees and my body was like 90 degree temperature difference, does not compute, all parts frozen. So Valvoline saved me from freezing to death while trying to put air in the tires myself). But wait, the awesomeness continues! I called my insurance company and they sent someone out to install a new windshield while I was at work. For free! Plus the guy even cleaned out my car and washed all my other windows. I used to think the "You're in good hands with Allstate" was kind of a creepy slogan. But now I feel like insurance isn't totally a waste of money all the time. On occasion it comes in handy. Good hands, not creepy hands.

  • Sometimes I go to Canal Town before work to get caffeinated beverages, but mostly to eavesdrop on the old dudes who hang out there in the morning talking about the news and politics. I like their friendly curmudgeon vibe. Plus one guy brings his dog. And sometimes they are joined by an older lady who is impeccably dressed - I'm talking fancy business suits and scarves and heels that I would never even attempt to walk in. While waiting for my mostly-soymilk-with-a-hint-of-coffee drink, I was looking at the odd new artwork on display and one of the guys said "What do you think?" I said "It's...interesting." and he said "That's certainly the word for it." The other guy said "Not my taste at all." And then the barista said "I know you ordered a small but I made you a large" (she does this about a third of the time and only ever charges me for a small. I wonder what I would get if I ordered a large? A whole coffee plant?)

  • Pete said "What do you think Costa Ricans would say if we brought them to Rochester?" and I answered "Why do you live here?" No rainforest, no monkeys, and the air is so cold it hurts your face. But we do have excellent dessert and Mountain Dew, which are both severely lacking in Costa Rica.

  • The buyer's home inspector said that we had to put smoke detectors on every floor in my house (including attic and basement) and one in each bedroom. Since I have an awesome husband (who also had this week off) Pete went over there while I was at work and installed the required extra smoke detectors. So the odds of someone remaining unaware of any future fire that may occur in my house are now infinitesimally low. But all I could think was what if the new owner sets off the fire alarms while cooking and then has to deal with the shrill beeps of 7 alarms assaulting their ears simultaneously. That is enough safety to drive anyone insane.

Lyric of the moment: "Fill your heart with love today. Don't play the game of time. Things that happened in the past only happened in your mind. Forget your mind and you'll be free. The writing's on the wall. And you can know it all if you choose. Just remember lovers never lose. 'Cause they are free of thoughts unpure and of thoughts unkind. Gentleness clears the soul, love cleans the mind..." ~David Bowie "Fill Your Heart"

No comments:

Post a Comment