Friday, November 5, 2010

Some kind of mysterious stranger

He said: "Is that a mood ring? You're blue and green, that's a good combination."
She liked the sounds of that.

I love fleeting moments with random strangers. Maybe you share a funny anecdote or a smile, maybe you commiserate about long lines or shitty weather, maybe you wave in acknowledgement of your shared determination to be awake and running at this ungodly hour. These are the kinds of moments that are full of limitless possibilities. You don't know anything about this person, so anything could happen. For whatever reason, some sequence of events has brought you to this place at this time, where your world has just collided with that of another. And that's just the beginning. You don't yet know that she carries a lucky penny in the pocket of all her coats or that his favorite book is "Sirens of Titan." You don't know if you'll become best friends or vague memories. Maybe you'll never see each other again or maybe, years from now, you'll hardly be able to remember a time before you knew each other.

But whatever happens, this chance meeting will change you somehow, perhaps without you even realizing it. And that's my favorite part. Everyone we interact with can be a source of joy in an otherwise ordinary day or a lesson we had to learn the hard way. We are the accumulation of all our experiences and connections.

I like people and sometimes I even revel a little in the awkwardness of human interactions, so why don't I ever actively try to meet new people? Oh yeah, because I am terrible at it. Some people naturally make friends wherever they go and I wish I was one of them, but I am lacking the necessary social skills and outgoing personality. I'm no good at small talk. I want to skip ahead to the part where we jump out of airplanes and travel around the world together.

Lyric of the moment: "Haven't we met? You're some kind of beautiful stranger. You could be good for me. I have a taste for the danger..." (because it reminds me of Austin Powers. yeah baby)

No comments:

Post a Comment