Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Run for the hills

Last night I went to the hill workout at Fleet Feet and the free talk afterwards about how to dress for running in cold weather. This was my first time at one of their regular Tuesday night hill workouts, mainly because I'm a morning runner and their workouts don't start until 6pm. But it was actually a lot of fun. As much as hill repeats can ever be fun. And the view from Cobb's Hill at sunset is breathtaking.

I used to hate hills, but lately I find that I really don't mind them. By no means do I love them or actively seek them out, but I'm not intimidated by them either. Just take it one step at a time to the top, and eventually you get to come back down again. It's just converting kinetic energy to potential energy and then back to kinetic. Take that hills, you've been scienced! (I really wish I had more occasions to say "You've been scienced!")

Most of the other runners were decked out in their reflective vests and headlamps. I should probably buy something like that since it's dark when I run in the mornings, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't like having a lot of running "stuff." I just want to lace up my shoes and go. But I also don't want to get smashed up by a car. So there's that.

The talk about cold weather gear was informative, but I'm not about to spend hundreds of dollars on fancy new high-tech baselayers and midlayers and jackets and tights. Mostly I just wanted to hear what kinds of fabrics and products they recommended so that I can be on the lookout for similar items the next time I go to TJMaxx, Marshalls or other discount stores. In winters past, I ran in sweats, but the Fleet Feet lady said cotton is the worst fabric to wear when running. Apparently I've been living on the edge.

Lyric of the moment: "When the future's architectured by a carnival of idiots on show, you'd better lie low..." (because it's the perfect description of election time.)

Lucky sporting my I voted today sticker

3 comments:

  1. Slap some glow in the dark tape across your forehead and your good to go. And yes, please avoid the cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. y-o-u-'-r-e means you are, y-o-u-r means your!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ross! :) "We were on a break!"

    ReplyDelete