Friday, March 23, 2012

The dude presides

I have a half marathon race in 36 days and a marathon in 57 days. I don't feel ready. Strangely, I'm not that concerned about it. I'm fairly optimistic I'll finish, since I've done it before. But I don't think I'm getting any faster or stronger. And I haven't even figured out what running shoes I'm going to wear during the races. Instead of following a formal training plan as I assume most people do (because that would be smart), I've been making up my own as I go along. I'm slowly adding more yoga and spinning and cutting back to running 4 days a week instead of 5. I don't think I want to be just a runner anymore. Lately I've been craving a little more variety and it's nice to have 3 days a week to cross train any way I want. The thing is that I'm having a lot more fun training this way. Except I'm a little afraid I'm going to be disappointed with the results on race day. I guess the results aren't important. I run because it makes everything better, no matter how fast or slow I go. Maybe that's why I have yet to buy a GPS watch and why I don't keep track of my yearly mileage or or other statistics - I don't want running to become something that makes me feel worse instead of better.

Read in Running Times magazine: "...success or victory isn't the point of what you do. The process of trying to reach your potential is the point." ~Lauren Fleshman

Success in running is often defined as achieving a certain goal time or distance. I find it easy to get sucked into that way of thinking, because of course I want to improve. But the Universe keeps telling me to let go of all that and be in the moment and enjoy the journey. Except, holy cannoli (mmm...the kind with chocolate chips), all that be-here-now stuff is really hard to do. Totally worth it, but still really hard to do. I'm working on it.

This is the point where the crazy part of my brain wants to freak out. It's all "You're not ready. You can't do this. Blah, blah, blah." And then the dude part of my brain is all "Chill out, whatever man, it's cool. This is going to be an epic adventure. Like the apex of awesomeness, dude."

I'm rooting for the dude on this one. He's way more fun.


New this week:
*I finally watched The Princess Bride. I'm not sure how I'd never seen it before now. Inconceivable!
*I got my first (and mostly likely only) manicure yesterday at girls' night to celebrate Becky's upcoming wedding. I picked blue nail polish (because what other color is there?), but managed to chip it before I even got home. This is why I can't have nice things.
*I went to Friday Cycle Express spin class at the gym this morning. I must have looked particularly confused or out of place when I walked in because the instructor helped me adjust the bike and gave me a free Vitamin Water. Bonus! It feels weird to work out under a disco ball, but whatever, good times.

Lyric of the moment: "The sun goes down, the stars come out. And all that counts is here and now. My universe will never be the same. I'm glad you came..."

No comments:

Post a Comment