Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 New Things #1: New Year's in NYC

My dad planned a family trip to New York City for New Year's to celebrate mom's 55th birthday in
December and TJ's 30th birthday in January. We walked around Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Little Italy (where a creepy guy in a fur coat who called himself "The Italian Bear" tried to entice us into his restaurant by telling us he had "a degree in pasta from Rochester University") and Chinatown (where Mom followed a Chinese lady into a sketchy, smelly basement to look at knock-off designer purses and I got yelled at in Chinese when I tried to leave said basement). Mom, Dad, Mike and I also went on a horse and carriage ride in Central Park, and it may have been our last chance to do so since the new mayor wants to shut it down for being inhumane (I don't know if the horses are mistreated or not, but I did appreciate the sign indicating that in lieu of tips passengers can clean up after the horses. That would be a crappy tip indeed.)

It was great to start off the new year in another city, but I'm glad I get to spend most of the other days this year in Rochester. And I'll definitely have to look into this "Rochester University" to see if I can get a degree in frozen yogurt with a minor in peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.

Lyric of the moment: "Another year you made a promise. Another chance to turn it all around. And do not save this for tomorrow. Embrace the past and you can live for now..."

No comments:

Post a Comment