Saturday, February 1, 2014

2014 New Things #2: Cancun, Mexico

We spent the past week enjoying the exquisite weather in Cancun and I also got to do a few new things, including visiting the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza (which is one of the 7 new wonders of the world. It took a long, cramped bus ride to get there, but that's how it goes. Sometimes you have to endure a little discomfort on the way to the extraordinary things), seeing a cenote (underwater sinkhole), taking a boat tour of Isla Mujeres (I can now add 'where Ricky Martin lives' to the list of things I know), eating cactus (on its own it wouldn't be my favorite, but as it was served, a "cactus tower" of mozzarella, tomatoes and cactus, it was pretty good), driving a golf cart and chasing iguanas while Mike played nine holes, exploring an abandoned hotel by the beach and being asked by a man in an alley if I wanted to hold a baby tiger for $10 (I kind of regret not taking him up on his offer, because when else am I going to get a chance to hold a baby tiger, but it was altogether quite a shady enterprise. I mean, where did he get this tiger and what will happen to it when it's no longer a baby? I doubt anyone will pay him $10 to run away from/get mauled by a grown up tiger.)


 I also got to run on the beach, swim and read to my heart's content. It was a very welcome break from the doldrums of winter.

And I love how travel always infuses me with such a feeling of spaciousness: space in my head for new perspectives, space in my heart for ever-increasing gratitude and space in my soul for an infinity of future adventures.




Lyric of the moment: "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be all right..." (because anywhere you can sit by the water and listen to Bob Marley is ok by me.)



No comments:

Post a Comment