Saturday, March 15, 2014

2014 Race #2: Johnny's Runnin' of the Green

Saturday morning I woke up, ran 6 miles, put on my shamrock socks*, then ran Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile race downtown. This year I wanted to focus on running races for fun instead of stressing out about them. I figured if I ran a warm-up that was longer than the race itself, I could just relax and enjoy the race as just part of another training run. The course itself, an out and back, was pretty boring but it was great running amidst all the crazy costumes. I saw a lot of tutus (I think the next piece of running apparel I buy needs to be a tutu), a man with a green mustache, two women dressed like leprechauns (beards and all), a dude in a Green Lantern shirt (sadly it was not Ryan Reynolds) and someone running with a (fake) bare ass hanging out.

I kept getting stuck behind people (I'm terrible at running in crowds), but it turned out to be a good thing because my stomach started cramping almost right away. Then the cramping moved up into my chest too, which wasn't cool at all. But I just kept going and trying not to think about it. I felt like I was running so slow, so I was surprised that my chip time was 43:48. I'll take that for the end of an 11 mile training run with cramps. But seriously, that shit is getting annoying and I don't know how to fix it.

I wish I would have had more fun during this race, but I didn't get anxious about it or feel upset about my time or anything, so I think I'm headed in the right direction.

Whatever happens, every mile I get to run is a good one.

Lyric of the moment: "Live, that's all you can, it's all you can do. No matter where I put my head, I wake up feeling sound again. Breathe, it's all you can...Be thankful, that's all you can. Ah but don't, don't sink the boat, that you built, you built to keep afloat..."

*I don't have any pictures from the race so you will have to imagine the awesomeness that was my shamrock socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment