Thursday, March 13, 2014

Frozen winter shit

Out of all the possible apocalypses, I still think zombies would be the best. But I could get on board with a snowpocalypse too. I don't recall having invited him, but winter storm Vulcan came to visit this week. He dumped a ton of snow on everything and I didn't even get a day off work, but then he was all "Live long and prosper" so I couldn't be too annoyed at the Vulcan. That would be illogical.

I can complain with the best of them, but I try not to because it's kind of a waste of time. Time that could be spent eating cookies and watching Scandal (How did I not know about this show before now? I thought I would hate it because I hate politics but it's surprisingly awesome).

I figure if I don't like something, I can change it. And if it's something I can't change, like the weather, I can at least change my attitude about it. So here are my favorite things about this frozen winter shit:

*I kind of like driving when I can hardly see anything in front of me. It seems more adventurous that way.

*Shoveling always seems like a huge pain in the ass at first, but once I get going I rather enjoy it. It keeps me warm and the repetitive motion is actually sort of meditative in a way. Sometimes I like to count shovelfuls and see how many I can get. It was 100+ when I lost count this morning.

*My absolute favorite thing about winter is those chunks of snow that collect in the wheel wells of my car. There's something about kicking them loose that I find so satisfying.

*My second favorite thing is all the giant snow piles everywhere, especially the ones made by plows in big parking lots. So many things to climb on, so little time.

*Maybe it's just me, but people seem extra weird during extreme weather. I saw a dude out walking in the blizzard wearing shorts and two different cars pulling deliberate U-turns on busy roads covered in all the Vulcan junk (you know, because if there's ever a time for reckless driving it's during a blizzard!)

*But people are also extra nice. When my car got stuck in part of an unplowed road on my way to work, a nice stranger stopped and pushed me out. Thanks, dude!

Enough of that. Let's skip ahead to the days of sun and pants-less runs. My friends, may your winters be short and may you live long and prosper.

Lyric of the moment: "It's sure been a hard, hard winter. My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground. And I hope it's gonna be a long, hot summer. And a lotta love will be burnin' bright..."

No comments:

Post a Comment