Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A toast to failure

Success gets all the glory, but the truth is that if you want to succeed you have to become very intimate with failure. To get to the places most worth finding, you have to get lost. To learn the most important lessons, you have to make mistakes. To become the explosion of awesomeness you are, you have to take risks and dare mightily, remarkably, at times even recklessly.

When I look back at my life, I see a past checkered with failures. And that is what made all the difference. Failing to do the things everyone else was doing lead me to create the life I wanted for myself. Failing at races lead me to become a stronger, happier runner. Failing at previous relationships lead me to Pete.

Failure isn't the bad guy. It's an important, necessary part of a life well-lived. It's what you do in the face of failure that matters. Will you take enough chances to risk failure in the first place? Will you fail ridiculously, totally, fantastically? Will you laugh about it and learn from it and keep on keeping on with your awesome self? That, my friends, is success.

Lyric of the moment: "And when you least expect, everything connects. Even when the hope is gone, there is you. And you'll keep your name. And the things in your brain just might see you through. 'Cause you are light. And in darkest night you shine. And I guess we're doing fine. But there's no escaping our spectacular failure..."

No comments:

Post a Comment