Friday, March 13, 2015

Robot vs. dentist

Earlier this week, I went in for a regular teeth cleaning and both the dental hygienist and dentist pointed out that my one front tooth sticks out slightly more than the other. Then they started pressuring me into getting Invisalign braces. Maybe they were genuinely trying to help. Or maybe it was a ploy to drum up business. Their super hard sell made me think it was more of the latter. Especially since after the x-rays and cleaning, they said my teeth were perfectly healthy (though apparently not cosmetically attractive enough). If it was medically necessary, I'd consent to fixing my teeth, but I don't have any interest in wasting money (that could be spent on adventures) trying to make my teeth align with someone else's idea of perfection. I already went through years upon torturous years of retainers and braces and headgear. I had 4 permanent teeth pulled, in addition to my wisdom teeth. After the braces came off, I wore retainers again for what felt like forever, until I just couldn't do it anymore. I had an awkward phase that lasted like 25 years, you guys. No joke.

At first, I felt a little self-conscious about my teeth. I mean, my parents spent so much money on them and they still refuse to behave. But if the full gamut of orthodontia couldn't wrangle my teeth into perfect orderly submission, I think I'm going to let them be as they are. In a way, I kind of love my nonconformist teeth. I love that there are parts of me that are untamable.

There are certain things about myself I'm trying to change. But I don't think my crooked teeth are going to be one of them (my sweet tooth, maybe). I think I'd rather be happily imperfect, a bit rebellious and wild around the edges, than perfectly toothsome.

Lyric of the moment: "I'm a war, of head versus heart. And it's always this way. My head is weak, my heart always speaks before I know what it will say..."

No comments:

Post a Comment