Friday, May 22, 2015

Fighting the funk with gratitude

I had somehow avoided having the pre-vacation/adventure/running all the miles freakout. But then life, ever the practical jokester, intervened, and I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat. Cue cascade of curse words. And then all the feels. Annoyance. Frustration. Fear that I'm going to let Pete down during our Oregon adventure. Profound disappointment at my body for not being invincible and perfect and having the ability to fly, or at least levitate. That train of thought goes nowhere good, fast. So I have learned to fight the funk with gratitude.

Out of all the meat sacks I could have been born into, I was lucky enough to get this one. And yeah, my body never met a cold it didn't like, that it didn't want to invite inside and give some cookies. But so what? It's just being a good host. There are a shit ton of diseases and allergies and other assorted afflictions out there, and I haven't come down with any of them during my time in this ole bag 'o bones. So my body is bad at preventing colds. But it's extra good at hugging and laughing, which I think more than makes up for it.

But seriously, immune system, let's clean this hot mess up ASAP. I have an arsenal of OTC drugs and a bear full of honey and Throat Coat (a medicinal tea I first met this past winter in Alison's pantry. It's quite a magical place.) The tea is...how can I put this nicely?...disgusting. It is on par with tequila in terms of its utter un-palatability. I blame the slippery elm bark. That dude is up to no good. And he smells like black licorice. But the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Or something. I hope that tea works better than it tastes.

It's 24 hours until airport time. And I am determined to evict this cold before then. No more Mr. Nice Robot. It is on like Donkey Kong. I don't even know what that means. I just hope it sounds intimidating enough to send these germs off on their own vacation that is far, far away from mine.

Lyric of the moment: "Those evil natured robots, they're programmed to destroy us. She's gotta be strong to fight them, so she's taking lots of vitamins. 'Cause she knows that it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them..." ~The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots"

No comments:

Post a Comment