Thursday, August 6, 2015

Dear people of earth:

The internet is a harsh place, man. Whatever choices you make, there will be people who disagree with you. When you put yourself out there and talk honestly about your circumstances and ask for help, you will get a lot of lovely, heartfelt responses. And you will also get total strangers who know nothing about you or the agonizing decisions you've had to make leaving their very judgmental and unhelpful (and also sometimes hilariously misspelled and grammatically incorrect) comments.

I knew that it would happen, but it was a risk that I had to take because I really need to find an amazing home for Mozzie by September. I'm really struggling with this and I am heartbroken over it. But loss is an inherent part of love. Sometimes life throws you curveballs and there are no easy answers. Some problems can't be solved by OTC meds. I know that I shouldn't care what other people think and that I shouldn't let their comments bother me. I should be stronger than that. And usually I am. But I wasn't yesterday. Yesterday I had too many feelings and it was all too much. I'm assuming that people have good intentions and they mean well. But what I needed was not to read "3 billion men and you can't find one that isn't allergic to your dog? This is an absolute requirement for people I date." or "I'm allergic to dogs and have four! Tell the boyfriend to take allergy pills or take a walk! Seriously!! Shame for giving him up for a guy! And shame on this guy for allowing it." or "Dump Pete and keep the dog! This is a no brainer." What I needed was less judgment and more compassion. Isn't that what we all need? We're all doing the best we can with the circumstances we have and we don't know what it's really like to be anyone else.

So to anyone who is going through a hard time or has to make a tough decision or is struggling, I'm sorry. Sometimes life is unfair and unreasonable and downright sucky. I don't know what it's like to run a mile in your shoes, but if you need a shoulder to cry on or a hand to hold or an ear to listen, I have two of all of those things. And if what you want is someone to just sit with you in your sad place for a little while so that you don't feel alone, I will do that with you.

From Robot, With Love

Lyric of the moment: "I was just wondering if you'd come along to hold up my head when my head won't hold on. I'll do the same if the same's what you want. If not I'll go. I will go alone. I will run and I'll be ok..."  ~Dave Matthews Band "The Stone"



No comments:

Post a Comment