Monday, August 31, 2015

How to adult

As kids, we can't wait to be adults and do whatever we want to do. But as adults, I think we sometimes forget that the awesomeness of adulthood is that you get to do whatever you want. If you don't want to do something, you don't have to do it. You may have to deal with the consequences of not doing it, but at least you have the choice.

Out of all the wedding tasks, I naively thought that making a seating chart would be one of the easy ones. Order some cute table cards and fill them out. I was half right. The first part is easy. The second part is near impossible. After hearing complaints from people who didn't want to sit next to certain other people, I had an epiphany: screw it, we're opting out of this nonsense. These people are adults and they can sit wherever they want. This is not a day for petty conflicts or drama. This is a day for eating, drinking, playing games, dancing, and walking on stilts. This is a day for having cake and cookies too. This is a day for being merry and getting married. So that's what we're going to do.

And that, my friends, is my new adult philosophy. If something is unnecessarily complicated or stressful, I'm going to opt out of it. If I don't want to do it, I'm not going to do it. Because I'm an adult and I said so.

Lyric of the moment: "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be all right..." ~Bob Marley "Three Little Birds"

No comments:

Post a Comment