Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snow Cheap Trail Race

Rocking my new headlamp
 I went to the first race in the Snow Cheap Trail series tonight. It was, as they say, an experience. It was a crazy, slippery trek through the fields and woods, uphill and down, over logs and under tree branches. The course is different every time and you don't know how long it is until you're done. Some people wear snowshoes but I don't have snowshoes, and I don't know how to snowshoe anyway, so I just wore my trail running shoes. I'm glad I went. I survived my first trail race and I didn't even fall! But I consider myself lucky not to have wiped out or gotten smacked in the face by a tree branch, and I feel like running another race might be tempting fate. Seriously, the whole time I was thinking "This is crazy. Only a crazy person would be doing this." Still, I have to admit it was strangely exhilarating not knowing where we were or how far we were going, just trying to stay upright and make it to the finish. Afterwards some guy came up to me and thanked me for setting a good pace. It was his first time too and apparently he was following me the whole time and trying to stay with me. Hilarious. I had no idea what I was doing. I was just trying not to get lost or injured. Mission accomplished.

Lyric of the moment: "But I'll be close behind. I'll follow you into the dark.."

No comments:

Post a Comment