Sunday, April 19, 2015

Muddy Sneaker 2015

Thanks to Laura for the action shots and
awesome volunteering!
I was nervous for this run, but chatting and laughing with Alison, Bob and Danielle on the car ride to Naples took my mind off it. Honestly, I was expecting this race to be a total sufferfest, but it was actually quite lovely. The weather was sunny and perfect. Any day I can run in a sleeveless shirt and shorts, in Rochester, is no small miracle. The course was technical single track in some spots and I'm terrible at that, but I did achieve my goal of finishing with all my blood and bones on the inside where they belong. I didn't fall at all and I barely even stumbled. I mean, I was definitely slow. I sometimes find it hard to get my breathing into a regular rhythm on technical and variable terrain, but my legs were pretty awesome about getting me where I needed to go. There were times I thought how in the name of physics can we still be going uphill? and what is the deal with that giant chicken? But I was never in any pain.



The thing I love about running, and life, is that even when I think I'm going to be all alone, I somehow always find the most excellent of company. I got to run part of the race with John on our 4 year friendiversary, in much better weather than on the run where we met, in brutal cold, wind and rain. I also got to run the majority of the race with Matt, who even with a black and blue and yellow ankle is too fast for me. I finished in about 2 and a half hours, which is not terrible I guess. I really enjoyed myself though, so I think that is the important thing. The trails were beautiful, the people were awesome, and the Arnold Palmer (half lemonade/half iced tea) I drank after the race really hit the spot. I'm hoping all those hills will be good for my butt. And that the good weather and good times will continue for the rest of the spring and summer racing season.
Group photo thanks to Todd!

Lyric of the moment: "We live in a beautiful world. Yeah we do, yeah we do..."

No comments:

Post a Comment