Thursday, April 2, 2015

Simple things

I love travel and adventure. I have a tank top that says "I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list." I'm itching to go skydiving again. But what I love most are the simple things right here at home: good times with good people. Last night I found myself running some trails and hanging out with friends at the bar known affectionately as 'Jammers,* having conversations about everything from the hilarious to the serious to the drunk lady that came over to the table and said a bunch of crazy funny things that didn't make sense. (Though I think her main point, minus the expletives, was something to the effect of "Live for today," which is pretty Zen for a dive bar. You can find pearls of wisdom in the strangest oysters).  As I sat there enjoying my PB&J sandwich, sweet potato fries and pitcher...of water, I thought this right here, this is the good stuff, this is what I want my life to be always. Motion and meaningful relationships. That's where my happiness is.

Some of my favorite simple pleasures:

*When you think you can't run one more hill or mile. And then you do.

*Watching dogs run around and play. They just look so happy and cute. I wish that I could look that way when I run but I'll have to settle for the sweaty zombie look.

*Peanut butter/almond butter. I could eat it every day and never get tired of it. I think Popeye was doing it wrong, eating spinach straight up out of a can when he could have been adding it to a smoothie with peanut butter so it would taste infinitely better.

*Friends who you can say anything to and who can say anything to you.

*Sunny days and no pants runs. As in, when it's warm enough to run in capris or shorts. Not as in no bottoms at all. I'm not a hash house harrier. But kudos to those who have the balls to go balls out on the trails.  

*Hugs. I'm not a handshake person. High fives, I can dig. But hugs, man. Hugs are the best.

Lyric of the moment: "Turns out not where but who you're with that really matters...Turns out not where but what you think that really matters..."

*If you're ever feeling down, just do a Google image search for jammers. It's the weirdest combination of images. And it's virtually impossible not to laugh at the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment