Thursday, April 16, 2015

That time I didn't hate asparagus. And other miracles.

Some people don't believe in miracles. And to that I say: yesterday I ate asparagus and didn't hate it. Now, asparagus is the third worst food, next to mushrooms and brussels sprouts. And if I have reached a point in life where I can eat asparagus and not think it's disgusting, I have to believe anything is possible. That's the thing about life. It never ceases to surprise you. One day you might get a salad that you didn't realize had your mortal enemy asparagus on it, but you might try it anyway because hey you never know, right? and you might find out that maybe you and the weird green stalky things can get along after all.

I hope that I haven't yet exceeded my miracle allowance for this week because Saturday I'm facing the infamous Muddy Sneaker trail race. The website for this race is a bit sparse on information, which may be a good thing. This is probably one of those races where it's better not to know what you're getting yourself into. I've never run this race, but from what I've heard it's basically uphill...in all directions. Last year a Jenn got injured and had to be carried off the course. While I'd like to sign up for this whole being carried around thing, I really, really don't want to get injured. I have no desire to be the next victim in the Hi-Tor area's Jen(n)detta. Don't mess with me, wilderness. I know (some) karate. Ok, so I only remember like 3 moves with a bo and I don't even own a bo anymore. Please just go pick on someone your own size.

I'm not really worried about this race. I know it's going to be difficult, that it's probably going to be uncomfortable at some point. But I also know that it's going to be beautiful and exciting and awesome. I'm a little bummed that everyone I know who's running this race is much faster than I am so I'll probably be poking along in the back by myself. But I'm sure I'll find a way to amuse myself. Like singing Here Comes The Hotstepper in my head to remind myself to pick up my feet when there's mud. Not that I've ever done that before. Nope.

Lyric of the moment: "Sun's gonna rise in a mile. In a mile you'll be feeling fine. In a mile you will see after me. You'll be out of the dark, yeah you'll get your shot..." (This song is actually called Son's gonna rise but I always hear sun in my head. It's a good mantra for the tough spots in a race.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment