Thursday, February 24, 2011

They say when the student is ready, the teacher will appear

Sometimes you think you know who you are and what you want and then someone comes along who makes you change your mind. Someone who challenges you. Someone who makes you want to do more and be more. Someone who makes you start to want things you were afraid to want before. This is the story of my life. I've learned something from everyone I've met and all those interactions have changed me for the better.

Read in a magazine:

"...wander through the world with open eyes, dare to be vulnerable in the face of life's unpredictable twists and turns."

and 

"That woman is weird, but she does seem to be enjoying herself."

I went to Borders yesterday but left empty-handed. I need some new books, but I just couldn't find anything I was excited to read. I'm still in the middle of At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson and The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean, both of which are interesting but a bit like reading a textbook. I need a book I can get lost in for a while. Or something like that. Whatever it is I need, I'm sure it will find me. It always seems to work out that way.

Lyric of the moment: "I want to live life and never be cruel. And I want to live life and be good to you. I want to fly and never come down. And live my life and have friends around..."

1 comment:

  1. Midnight's Children - Salmon Rushdie
    Run - Ann Patchett
    Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
    Paradise - Toni Morrison
    "Stone Animals" - Kelly Link
    A Reliable Wife - Robert Goolrick

    ReplyDelete