Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cleveland Marathon

Well that sucked. Actually that's not entirely true. I loved the first 13 miles. I had a stomach cramp fairly early on but I was running through it, hoping it would go away, and I was making good time. Then everything else started cramping up too until I could barely move my legs. I have no idea what happened but I have never been in so much pain. I tried walking short stretches and stretching it out, but it didn't really help. Somehow I made it to the medical tent at mile 18, where the doctors stretched and iced my legs. The doctor said that since the cramping was systemic, it was probably a metabolic issue, like I didn't have enough potassium or something in my system. He also said that the fact that I had my period this week probably didn't help (TMI, sorry). The doctors wanted me to go in the ambulance and drop out of the race, but I just couldn't do it. I didn't come all this way to quit. The last 8 miles were brutal but I slowly hobbled to the finish.

I promised myself that I would be happy with whatever happened in Cleveland, and I am happy I finished. I would have been so pissed at myself if I dropped out. But I'm still disappointed in myself and my awful finish time. There was nothing more I could have done. Today was not my day. But it was heartbreaking to have to tell everyone that I didn't run well. And I felt bad that my parents, Emelyn, Jeff and Evangeline came all this way to watch me run and I totally sucked. Emelyn even made these awesome shirts that said Team Jen on the front and Pratt Attack on the back. She is seriously the best.

The weekend, and the trip itself, was a lot of fun. The actual race, not so much. But so long, so long, and on to the next one. There will be other races.

And if what they say is true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I must be almost invincible after that.

Lyric of the moment: "It's, not, how you start, it's how you finish. And it's, not, where you're from, it's where you're at. Everybody gets knocked down, everybody gets knocked down, how quick are you gonna get up?"




3 comments:

  1. The goal was to finish :) Now, lets talk about these systemic issues you are having... I think what you need to do, is start drinking alcohol... it is the only viable solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that problem when I was pregnant, it's a mineral deficiency and my god does it hurt...like a charlie horse in your whole body...how the hell did you run like that? Take a mineral supplement along with your daily multi-vitamin - something with magnesium and potassium in it and it should stop that from happening. You are unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mineral supplements and drinking, both of them together will make an unstoppable Pratt Attack! We are all proud of you Jen! I can't wait to start running/training with you again.

    ReplyDelete