Thursday, July 28, 2011

The heat of the moment

July has been hot. Surface of the sun hot. Ok, that is a slight exaggeration. But still, hot. Everyone is complaining about the heat. It's understandable. Oppressive heat is uncomfortable. A hot, sweaty mess of uncomfortable. But I'm trying to appreciate it. Because soon enough everyone will be complaining about the cold.

Besides, learning to deal with discomfort makes you stronger. Sometimes you have to endure the uncomfortable before you can get to the awesome. And if you want to learn a lesson in discomfort, running is one of the best teachers. Sometimes running feels amazing but other times it feels very, very bad. Sweaty, out-of-breath, achy, tired, nauseously bad. But if you keep going, good runs eventually follow the bad ones. If you're really challenging yourself, in running or in life, it's bound to feel a little uncomfortable at times. That's how you grow and improve. I guess that's why they're called growing pains and not growing ice cream sandwiches.

On Monday I had lunch with Dangers and he said he was having a mini life crisis. He didn't feel like he was any of the places he was supposed to be in life. I've definitely felt like that before, though for me it was more that I didn't know where I was supposed to be in the first place. Then I sort of decided that wherever I am is where I'm "supposed" to be and just set about enjoying that for however long it lasted. When I think about it, all the times that I felt a little bit uncomfortable in my life eventually lead to the most fantastic and hilarious times. Maybe the discomfort is the impetus to change or one of the side effects of the process of change. Either way, it too will pass.

In unrelated news, my calf muscles are starting to get some definition. I have a muscle! Sort of. I hope they peer pressure my other muscles into appearing.

Lyric of the moment: "How infinite is space, and who decides your fate, why everything will dissolve into sand. How to avoid defeat, where truth and fiction meet, why nothing ever turns out as you planned. These are things that I don't understand..."

No comments:

Post a Comment