Monday, July 4, 2011

Irondequoit 4th of July 10K

Riding the Jack Rabbit at Seabreeze
4th of July weekend adventures: Mike's cousin's wedding, 10 mile run on the Genesee River Trail, Seabreeze with the little bro, dinner with Mike's family and my family, brunch at Mario's, watching Caddyshack at the Dryden Theater, Irondequoit 4th of July festival...

And running the Irondequoit 4th of July 10K race. It's a tough, hilly course, which is why I haven't run it again since 1998. But I wanted to try and beat my time from high school, which was 52:02. Luckily I had a good day, and not only beat my time but ran my fastest 10K ever (45:22) and got a medal for placing second in my age group. 13 years older and 7 minutes faster...I'll take it!


Picasso, Eric, me & Shooter at the race

I don't know why but I still get nervous before races. There's always that moment when I wonder why I thought this would be a good idea, when I question why I'm here. But here I am. Because racing is where you measure your progress, where you find out what you're made of. Sometimes you cross the finish line feeling invincible and sometimes you feel like you can't take another step. But either way, it makes you stronger. And that's why you keep coming back for more.



Lyric of the moment: "In the place where I make no mistakes, in the place where I have what it takes..."









3 comments:

  1. 2 things.

    1. Did you enjoy Caddyshack
    2. Way to win another medal. Punk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yes, it was hilarious.
    2. Can I give it to your Medals for Mettle or do they have to be from a half or full marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have to be a full, a half a triathalon or any other "like effort" for example, if a little kid ran a 10k, that would be like effort, or the tough mudders, or muddy buddy events can count if done solo.... etc etc etc

    ReplyDelete