Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Slashing through the snow

Last night I was sitting in my car, stopped at the fifth consecutive traffic light, becoming very, very irritable. Exclamations and expletives may have ensued. It had been an unusually frustrating day and I was hoping a group run at Seneca Park would alleviate the funk. But I had left work a little late, then stopped home to let Mozzie out, and with the rush-hour traffic I knew I wouldn't make it on time. I was annoyed. At myself. For being annoyed. Instead of being all free of expectations and Zen and shit. So I turned around, drove home and went for a run around my 'hood. By this time the weather had taken a turn towards Snow Globe. So I was dashing (Well, slowly dashing. Slashing?*) through the snow, my eyelashes heavy with snowflakes, taking in all the holiday lights on Park Ave. And suddenly it began to feel a lot like Christmas. Not consumer Christmas or religious Christmas, but Christmas as I imagine it was intended to be: a bright spot of hope in a long, dark winter, an infusion of cheer and merriment to lift the spirits.

The seemingly endless darkness and cold of winter wears on me. If I could find a bear family to adopt me, I'd be hibernating right now. Though I have to admit, winter can be quite lovely. Not when the wind is biting your face or when you try to stop your car and it just keeps on sliding. But the festive gatherings, warm beverages and the sparkle of snow in the moonlight - those are the parts of winter I can embrace wholeheartedly.

It's so tempting to stay inside in the coziness and warmth. But if you brave the temporary discomfort and venture out, you can see some pretty awesome sights. I have to keep reminding myself, just go for it, you can always get warm again. Although, if I had a fireplace all bets would be off. I'd curl up beside it and not come out until Spring.

Lyric of the moment: "Do you realize, that you have the most beautiful face? Do you realize, we're floating in space? Do you realize, that happiness makes you cry? Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die? And instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know you realize that life goes fast, it's hard to make the good things last. You realize the sun doesn't go down, it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round..."

*Having a bad day? Just go slashing through the snow. And now I'm picturing a ninja running through the snow, ninja-ing everything. Oh my god the awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment