Friday, February 5, 2016

Dark thoughts from the shower

Wednesday morning's run in the cold pouring rain made this morning's run in the not-so-cold snowglobe-esque snow feel even better. And having excellent company both days makes any run enjoyable regardless of the type of precipitation. It has been a week of adventures both happy and sad. Peanut butter pie and dark chocolate peanut butter cups were plentiful. I got to see a lot of my favorite people, though it was for a sad occasion. Jen(n)s took over Todd's car and no one peed inside it, but there was plenty of Outlaw Country. I got to spider-crawl and bunny hop and play with bricks under a bridge with two awesome ladies. I laughed so hard at work, like when Bill said "All women look the same in the dark...I mean...that came out wrong." Basically it was another week I had the privilege of being alive and being surrounded by awesome people.

And in general, I'm a happy, optimistic, see-the-best-in-everyone kind of person. (Mostly. I did win at Cards Against Humanity last night, which pretty much means Congratulations, you're the most terrible person in the room!) Plus I was in a really good mood this morning. Like I do most mornings, I was showering with Mike Doughty...(pause for humorous effect)...'s Pandora radio station playing in the background. And then I had a weirdly terrible shower thought:

Is the real reason humans are always at war with each other because there's no money in peace?

I mean, I have a phone with a lock screen that recognizes my fingerprint. And I'm not a spy, I'm just a regular person. (That is my story and I'm sticking to it). And yet we can't solve basic problems like how to inhabit the same 197 square mile space without being super unkind and murderous to each other. As a species, we are so technologically advanced and yet so emotionally stunted. It is really weird. Does anyone else think it is really weird? Or am I the only one who has random dark thoughts in the shower?  

Lyric of the moment: "No I don't wanna be afraid, afraid to die. I just wanna be able to say that I have lived my life. Oh, all the things that humans do to leave behind a little proof. But the only thing that doesn't die is love, love, love, love, love..." ~Marina & The Diamonds "Immortal"

No comments:

Post a Comment