Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Galapagos! Day 1: This will be epic

Tuesday, July 27, 2010.

I have never been this nervous and excited for a vacation before. I still can't believe I am actually going to the Galapagos Islands. This is what happens when I get an idea in my head and the feeling in my gut that tells me to go for it. Then somehow everything seems to fall into place and I am off on another amazing adventure.

At the Rochester airport waiting for the first of 3 flights today (Rochester to Chicago, Chicago to Miami and then Miami to Quito, Ecuador), my anticipation of the impending awesomeness is accompanied by sadness at leaving Jeremy behind. I'm surprised at how weird it feels to travel without him. He has become my partner in adventure and my favorite traveling companion. But I'm so glad Emelyn volunteered to go on this trip with me, although I don't think she knew what she was getting herself into.

The trip is getting off to a rocky start. I get a message from Emelyn that her flight from home has been delayed so she will miss the connection in Miami and won't arrive in the Galapagos until Thursday. I feel like a jerk because the only bad thing that's happened to me so far is that I spilled water all over my carry-on bag. I feel bad being so lucky when others aren't. Finally I make it to Quito at 1:00am and fall asleep in the hard bed at La Rabida hostel. There's a sign in the room telling people not to let "Brownie," the hostel's pet rabbit into the rooms, but I didn't see a rabbit anywhere. It's too bad because that would almost have made up for the hard bed and lack of hot water.

Lyric of the moment: "It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here. What better time than now..."

No comments:

Post a Comment