Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When the going gets tough...

Once I stopped taking Ibuprofen, the hip pain came back with a vengeance. After reading about common running injuries online, I suspected I might have bursitis, which my doctor later confirmed. Or, as he put it after examining me "You have a problem." (Um yeah doc, that's kinda why I'm here). Evidently my problem is trochanteric bursitis.

According to the Cleveland Clinic's website, "Trochanteric bursitis is inflammation of the bursa (fluid-filled sac near a joint) at the outside (lateral) point of the hip known as the greater trochanter."

(Insert string of expletives here)

Ugh! I'm so annoyed at myself for getting injured. My training was going so well and now this crap. I suppose some sort of setback was inevitable, but I'm still irritated. No sense stressing out about it though. Per my doctor's recommendations, I've been taking Ibuprofen, icing my hip and resting. I'm supposed to cut down on running, which I will (albeit grudgingly), but I still want to do enough that I'll be prepared for the race on September 12th. Tomorrow I'm getting acupuncture, because I've heard that can help.

Fingers crossed that I'll be better soon.

Lyric of the moment: "But it was not your fault but mine. And it was your heart on the line. I really fucked it up this time. Didn't I, my dear?"

1 comment:

  1. be careful. I use biofreeze for my back pain, that might help you.

    ReplyDelete