Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Galapagos! Day 2: Planes, ferries and automobiles

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I woke up a little before 6am and headed out for a run. I'm worried about keeping up my half marathon training during vacation because we have a full schedule of tour activities. I tried to stay close to the hostel but I have a terrible sense of direction and ended up getting lost. Crap. I kept going until I saw a Burger King that I remembered being somewhat near the hostel (I've never been happier to see a "Home of the Whopper" sign) and I found my way back. I only got in a 30 minute run, but didn't want to risk getting lost again, plus I had to get to the airport for my flight from Quito to the Galapagos.

I was too tired to notice last night, but the hostel has an armed guard out front watching the gates. During the trip, a bunch of people mentioned that Quito is dangerous and has a lot of crime, but I never felt afraid or anything. Then again, I have a tendency to be rather oblivious sometimes.

It feels strange and little lonely to be all by myself in a country where I've never been and don't know anyone, but then again venturing out into the unknown always feels a little unsettling at first.

Their airport in the Galapagos is on the island of Baltra, then you take a bus to the ferry dock, take the ferry to Santa Cruz and then drive to Puerto Ayora, which is the islands' biggest town. After lunch, it was back on another boat for a 2 hour ride to Floreana island. The rest of the group I was with went snorkeling but I was too cold so I explored a trail near the lodge. It's overcast today and the water here is chilly (that's why penguins can live in the Galapagos even though it has a tropical climate). Leave it to me to be cold even at the freaking equator. Also, everyone thinks I'm 22 or 25 and wants to know if I'm married. That's the thing about travel - the scenery changes but you're still the same person.

I did get as close as I've ever gotten to a sea lion though. The animals here don't run away from people at all. It's so tempting to pet them, but it's not allowed.

The food here is delicious. And the guides and other tourists are very nice, but for some reason I am always shy around new people. Plus I'm tired from 2 days of traveling. But as I fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean waves crashing on the beach right outside the lodge, I think I could definitely get used to this. I would so love to live on the ocean, especially someplace warm.

Lyric of the moment: "I climbed up a mountain, and looked off the edge. At all of the lives that I never have led. There's one where I stayed with you across the sea. I wonder do you still think of me.."

No comments:

Post a Comment