Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wise men say: relax and enjoy

I got an e-mail from my college cross country coach (apparently they listed the top 10 male and female finishers from the Airport 5K in the Rochester D&C and I was #10):

"Hi Jen, Congrats to you! I saw in Sunday’s D&C that you were 10th in a 5K and ran a good time as well. Great to see that you are running again. You certainly have the talent, and you just have to relax and enjoy it! Keep it up girl!! Hi to your parents! CHEERS! Jack"


I cringe when I think about how critical I used to be of myself and how upset I got at the slightest perceived failure. I was such a baby. Thankfully, I have mellowed out a lot since then. Still, it's a good reminder. I'm so much better when I relax and enjoy everything.

So I've decided to try and let go of expectations. I want to improve, but sometimes progress is painfully slow. And I don't want to overthink it or worry about it. I just want to keep going. Work hard for the sake of hard work. Find enjoyment in the effort. Give without expecting anything in return.

This is my favorite time of year to run and I want to soak up every minute of summer's long, sunshiney days. Last Tuesday, I did a 5 mile trail run at Seneca Park, Wednesday I did speed work on the track with Eric and Sheila, Thursday we ran from my house down to High Falls (note to self: explore Rochester more this summer), Saturday Joe and I ran on the airport runway, Sunday Shooter and I ran along the trail by the beach, and tonight a few of us are going to do a tempo run on the Irondequoit 4th of July 10K course.

Sure, speed would be nice, but I'll be happy as long as I never run out of places to run to.

Lyric of the moment: "Since I met you a couple months ago you ain't been the same. Not sayin' I'm the richest man alive but I'm in the game..." (because it's one of my new favorite songs to run to, even though I don't understand what game he is talking about)

1 comment: