Thursday, October 13, 2011

I just realized you can't spell thirty without hirt. D'oh!

This is what will happen if you do a
Google image search for 'thirty'
In 10 days, I will be 30 years old. I'm excited about thirty. It's old enough to have learned a few things but young enough to be able to look forward to a lot of future awesomeness.

I can honestly say I'm not sad to leave my twenties behind. I've had a lot of fun this past decade. I got a sometimes weird, sometimes crazy, always hilarious job. I loved. I lost. I cried about it. I laughed about it. I loved again. I went skydiving. I rode in a hot air balloon. I flew a plane. I bought a house. I adopted a dog. I went white water rafting. I ran 2 marathons. I went to Paris (twice) and Hawaii and the Galapagos Islands. I met some amazing people and learned a lot from them.

I still have a lot to improve on (and I suspect I always will), but all things considered right now is a good time to be me, if I do say so myself. I'm the oldest, tallest, strongest and happiest I've ever been.

So as a birthday present, I think I'm going to give myself a break. Sure, I have made mistakes and failed at some things and my abs are still more keg than six-pack, but so what? I am healthy and happy and life is good.

I've realized that random shit happens to everyone and whether you interpret it as good luck or bad luck, you'll be right. So if you embrace life with open arms and an open heart, if you see the best in everything, much awesomeness will come your way. You can see the glass as half empty, half full or, as I prefer, half full of ice cream.

And if I can view my life that way, why not view myself that way? I am definitely full of ice cream.

Lyric of the moment: "You'll be given love. You'll be taken care of. You'll be given love. You have to trust it. Maybe not from the sources you have poured yours. Maybe not from the directions you are staring at. Twist your head around. It's all around you. All is full of love..." (One of the hardest and best lessons I ever learned. Thanks Bjork. And all the stupid boys who didn't like me back, but paved the way for the ones who did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment