Thursday, October 20, 2011

Running on empty

I don't know what conventional wisdom says about running when you're sick. But I woke up with a sore throat yesterday morning and all I wanted to do all day was run. As if I could somehow outrun the germs. Which is ridiculous of course because they're already inside me and they go where I go. Unless maybe they'll get tired of all the jostling and move on to a more sedentary host. Not that I'm trying to pass my germs off on anyone else. That would be rude.

As I see it, running can cure anything that is ever wrong with me. Well, running, ibuprofen and bananas. Sometimes ice. I think Science and Medicine would agree with me on the whole running as a panacea thing. Some of it anyway. Maybe they wouldn't say it in those words per se, but they'd probably back me up in a bar fight. Science and Medicine are tough like that.

Seriously though, I feel like if I keep running, I can build up some sort of life momentum so that nothing can stop me. An object in motion stays in motion and all that. I run when I don't feel well because I want to keep going no matter what. I hate feeling like all systems are not functioning at 100%, like something is limiting me or holding me back.

Though I also think the obstacles and the stumbles make me stronger in the end, so there's that.

Lyric of the moment: "When I was young and moving fast, nothing slowed me down, slowed me down. Now I let the others pass, I've come around, come around. Living just to keep going. Going just to stay sane. All the while never knowing, it's such a shame..."

No comments:

Post a Comment