Friday, January 13, 2012

Adventures in philosophy

Wednesday night was my first class at the School of Applied Philosophy on East Ave. The teacher (or tutor, as he called himself) reminds me of an older version of the guy from the Matrix who was always calling Keanu Reeves "Mr. Anderson." Part of me hoped that he would do some sweet slow-motion ninja moves, but alas it was not to be. He did say that he attends a class on Tuesday nights, so I bet that is where all the ninja-ing goes down. So yeah, I think it's going to be an interesting 10 weeks. The only downside is that it seems like it's going to involve a lot of class participation, which is not my favorite. But in every class I've ever been in, there's always at least one person who likes to talk and tends to monopolize the conversation. Which is good, because I'd rather listen to them than have to talk about myself.

I'm not sure what to expect from this class. I look at it as another adventure. Hopefully I'll find some different perspectives and maybe a few new solutions to old problems. Super sweet bonus: they have snack time!

One of my favorite parts of the first Matrix movie is the scene with the kid who bends the spoon:
Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

 
Lyric of the moment: "And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake it off..."

No comments:

Post a Comment