Monday, February 27, 2012

On second chances

I will (usually) try (almost) anything once. But sometimes once isn't enough to give something a chance. Sometimes my initial impression of something is that it's not for me, then later on, under certain circumstances or with certain modifications, I find I do enjoy it after all. So it was with Indian food. I first tried Indian food a few years ago and thought it was awful. Everything was so spicy and I have a very low tolerance for spicy, so I decided Indian food and I should go our separate ways. Cut to this past Sunday, when Mike and I went to the lunch buffet at India House in my 'hood. It turns out a buffet is a great way to try a new type of cuisine. I liked being able to sample a variety of items rather than having to order one thing off the menu and possibly getting stuck with something I hate (I am really bad at choosing and this happens to me all the time). Some of the dishes were indeed too spicy for my liking, but I was a fan of the rice, a potato and peas concoction called Aloo Matar and especially the Naan (of course I would love the bread). Indian food would still not be my first choice, but I can see myself enjoying it on occasion. And I think they sell Naan at Wegmans, which I will probably buy at some point. Or ask Mike to buy, because he does most of my grocery shopping (last time he even organized the pantry after buying all the groceries, which I totally love and appreciate the hell out of).

In other news, my quest to become a tea drinker is progressing nicely. I have a new friend, Earl Grey, who contains more actual tea than chai. And is especially delicious when mixed with honey. I still can't get on board the coffee train, but I did have a half coffee/half cocoa drink that wasn't half bad.

There are still some things I will never acquire a taste for (mushrooms, raisins, brussels sprouts, asparagus, green olives, alcohol) but I'm keeping an open mind about the rest. I would have missed out on a lot of awesome sauce if I never gave anything a second chance.

Lyric of the moment: "I'm just saying it's fine by me if you never leave. And we can live like this forever, it's fine by me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment