Monday, October 1, 2012

The truths we hold to be self evident

Two things I read recently that have been following me around ever since:

"People become trapped by their own conception of their limits." (from 30 Lessons for Living)

and

"Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story." (from Wild)

Oh right, of course. It seems so apparent now, but I hadn't been aware enough to articulate it myself. The only thing holding me back is me. I have these limiting thoughts - no one will like me or I am unattractive or I can't do that - that I hold as truths and they color the way I interpret everything. Even if there is obvious evidence to the contrary, I don't see it. I am a bad scientist, ignoring any data that doesn't support my hypotheses. But what if the truths I hold to be self evident are actually false? What if the story I've been telling myself is fiction? What if I choose to tell myself a different story?

Or what if I don't tell myself a story at all? What if I see things simply as they are, unbiased by my preconceptions?

This would be a herculean task. I have almost 31 years of preconceptions filed away in my brain. How can I ever escape from that? I suppose the answer to that is one thought at a time, one day at a time.

Lyric of the moment: "I, I tried so hard to let you go, but some kind of madness is swallowing me whole. I have finally seen the light. And I have finally realized what you mean..." (because sometimes I hear a song and think, story of my life)

No comments:

Post a Comment