Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Arms are for hugging

When you live alone, you can do whatever you want. You get control of the remote, you can drink out of the carton, you can listen to whatever music you want, you don't have to feel bad about eating the last cookie. But there isn't anyone around to give you hugs. And sometimes you just need a hug. And sure, you could go get a peanut butter milkshake and drink it in bed while watching funny sitcoms, and that would be delicious and hilarious. But it wouldn't be as good as a hug.

It's weird but hugging is kind of a skill. Some people are really good at hugs and others aren't. I don't know why. Maybe you can get better with practice? I like full-on, great big bear hugs. And the kind where your feet come off the floor. And the kind where people at the airport run into each other's arms. It's hard to feel anything but happiness when you're wrapped up in a hug like that.

My Gram always says "Wrap your arms around yourself and give yourself a hug." But that's just not the same. Maybe it's like how you can't tickle yourself. You can't really hug yourself. Sorry, Gram. A hug requires at least two.


Things that are awesome:

*Emelyn and Jeff are coming to Cleveland for my marathon! Soooo good! They are the best ever!

*Peanut butter milkshakes. I am possibly addicted.

*Random conversations with random people. My friend Tucker from high school, who's in the Navy and IMs me about his adventures from time to time, sent me a message about how the world was spinning. Then his friend took over, explained that Tucker was drunk, and started talking to me. So I ended up having a long, random conversation with Tucker's Navy buddy, Mike. It was pretty entertaining.

Lyric of the moment: "I was a heavy heart to carry. But he never let me down. When he had me in his arms, my feet never touched the ground..."

No comments:

Post a Comment