Wednesday, March 23, 2011

An element of risk

One of my favorite quotes is "There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). That pretty much sums up how I live my life. Most of the time I don't know what I'm doing. I just dive into things and try to figure the rest out on the way down. Sometimes I fail to miss the ground. And sometimes it hurts. But I've found that you just have to get back up and keep on throwing yourself into life. Because if you never fail, you're not taking enough risks. And if you never risk getting hurt, you never get to the places most worth going.

So Cleveland, here I come. I don't have a goal pace or finishing time in mind. I don't really have any plan, other than continue to train hard and hope for the best. I'm just going to throw myself into this marathon and see what happens. The only thing I know for sure is that I will finish. Even if it kills me. Seriously, I will come back as a zombie and amble to the finish if I have to. I don't think I've ever wanted anything as much as I want this. Not the actual race. I'm scared as hell of the actual race. It's the aftermath I want. The feeling of having worked towards and accomplished what will be my most epic feat to date.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is think of the thing that scares you the most and then do it. Push aside all your worries and doubts and jump on in.

I'm trying to psych myself up for Saturday's 18 mile run. I don't know if it's working.

I seriously cannot wait for spring. I think I might explode.

Lyric of the moment: "I want so badly to believe that there is truth, that love is real. And I want life in every word to the extent that it's absurd..." (because it's one of my all time favorites)

No comments:

Post a Comment