Monday, March 21, 2011

What a long strange trip it's been

I read through all my old journals this weekend. It's funny to look back at how much my life has changed, how much I have changed. My twenties have certainly been a crazy, hilarious, amazing adventure. I can only hope my thirties will be even better.

Saturday I went to Geneva to run 16 miles with Steve Chabot. He and his friends meet at Hobart every year for an unofficial reunion, but they were all a year ahead of me in school so I don't really know anyone else.  Unlike most people, I don't have any nostalgia for college. All I did during my college days was study and run. The only reason I ever go back to Hobart is to see Steve. He's doing the Ironman in Utah on May 7th, so he suggested we do a long run together on Saturday then meet everyone else for dinner at Parker's. The longest I'd ever run before is 14, and I didn't have my iPod, so I wasn't sure how it would go, but I felt strong the whole way. The last few miles were a little tough because we were running right into the wind, but it was a good run at a good pace (faster than I usually run with pace group) with good company and what could be better than that?

Sunday I finally got around to turning my third bedroom into a library. Because I've always wanted a library. And now I can say things like "Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick!" Someday I'd love to have wall to wall bookcases, complete with sliding ladder and a secret door.

Then I went to Jeff's First Day of Spring party and then to my parents' house for dinner. Craziness and hilarity ensued.

Reading through all my old thoughts, I noticed that my happiest moments usually involve running or other adventures and spending time with friends. So even though I still don't know where I'm going, if I keep on doing those things, life will be good.

Lyric of the moment: "I wish that I could have this moment for life, for life. 'Cuz in this moment I just feel so alive, alive..."

4 comments:

  1. Totally jealous of your library :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you have sliding ladder and secret door, i'm coming over! love the library idea!!! eric is trying to eliminate our books, and i'm dead set against it. i've worked so hard to accumulate so many great books, i can't bear to part with them! talk to him on your next run, ok? ;) --sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to the previous comment, I have gone Fahrenheit 451 on your books. Enjoy the ashes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were stronger on that run than I was!

    ReplyDelete